Thomas Jefferson said in 1802: "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."-- Thomas Jefferson

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." .... jbd

"When once a job you have begun, do no stop till it is done. Whether the task be great or small, do it well, or not at all." .... Anon

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Television is one daylong commercial interrupted periodically by inept attempts to fill the airspace in between them.

If you can't start a fire, perhaps your wood is wet ....

When you elect clowns, expect a circus ..............




Monday, January 27, 2014

I always wondered ................. how?

Years ago I spent time in the Ohio Theater watching cowboys fight Indians, and cowboys fighting cowboys, but never Indians fighting Indians, that I can remember. I have often wondered, however, how and why, the white man came to this country, and it was immediately his, and the Indians had to do as they were told, why was that, I never understood how that happened, arrogant white's, I guess. Was it not the land of the Indians, why did the arrogant white man think it was his for the taking?
I have known some Indians, saw the Great Grandson of Sitting Bull at a Rodeo in Cheyenne that we went to see it years ago. I have known a few, and seen many in and around Reno, Washoe Indians. And, the same when living in Klamath Falls, Oregon, Klamath Indians. Both lived in lands the white man had graciously given to them, dilapidated and decrepitude neighborhoods.

I remember, in Reno, a few Indians came in to the club, and we could deal to them, no Blacks though. Always wondered about that. I remember one incident, a large Indian entered. In those days you could park on the street, and his car was right outside the Primm. He left his whole family sitting outside in his Pontiac. H started winning on the crap table. We bought him drinks. A double bourbon with a Tom Collins back. The more he won, the stronger the drinks got. I forget how much he won, cashed in, took his money, went outside, got in his Pontiac and drove off. He had consumed a GREAT deal of alcohol, but, it didn't show at all. He was a Mescalero Apache from New Mexico.

The Klamath's sold their land, and each tribe member who opted for the cash option received $43 thousand, in the early 60's. It was a catastrophe for many of them, new cars, new boats, one I knew, drop his new Pontiac till it ran out of gas, gave it away, and bought a new one. One tavern owner I knew, who also engaged in a bit of "wagering" settled all of his IOU's, gave the tavern to his bartender and went to Portland and paid cash for a giant beer distributorship. I had a good friend who had a small grocery store, on the way to the reservation, and put many on "credit," knowing they would someday have money. He told me they all came in and payed off their debts. Pete retired.

Perhaps one of the most memorable people I have met, was an Osage Indian, full blooded, Bill James. He did now know what his Indian name was. In those days, many named their children whatever appealed to them. Bill assumed he was named after the James brothers who were well known about that time. We did not know how old Bill was, nor did he. He lived to a ripe old age, not sure what it was though. He was a barber, had a number of shops around Nevada, one in Fallon, one in Winnemucca, and a couple more, not all at the same time. He made hos own shampoo. He had a glass gallon jug and would cut up a bar of Ivory soap into the jug and fill with water. Had to set overnight as I recall. Bill was a true Gentleman. Bill had a customer who he had gotten to know somewhat,George Whittell. George stopped in one day and asked Bill if he wanted to accompany him to Carson City, the were auctioning off land at that lake, up in the mountains. Bill declined, "Who would want land up there?" George bought up many, many acres of land, around Lake Tahoe.

I am one of the guilty ones, I guess, I middle name is Bradford, and a descendant of William Bradford who came over on the Mayflower and was politically involved. He was probably guilty of taking land away from the Indians. On Behalf of myself, as one of his descendants, I apologize. I understand recently, someone in Washington took steps to give all the land back to the Indians. 

They declined. "Ugh, no thanks."