Thomas Jefferson said in 1802: "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."-- Thomas Jefferson

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." .... jbd

"When once a job you have begun, do no stop till it is done. Whether the task be great or small, do it well, or not at all." .... Anon

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Television is one daylong commercial interrupted periodically by inept attempts to fill the airspace in between them.

If you can't start a fire, perhaps your wood is wet ....

When you elect clowns, expect a circus ..............




Wednesday, September 25, 2013

A, B, C, T and X

Do people jump in the car and go for "rides" anymore? We used to do it all the time. I remember many years ago, Dad has us pile in the Packard Clipper, drove us out South, in Dayton, and we went to the Custola, I think it was. A new place, had "Frozen Custard," which was brand new. Also had my first "drive in" hamburger and fries. And, we ate in the car, they put a tray on our window. Still remember that hamburger. I don't think one has ever tasted that good since. What a treat it was in those days, to eat in the car.

It used to be a part of our Sunday, church, drive somewhere to a nice restaurant, have lunch, and then, go for a drive.

Later on, when we had Brad and Melissa, we used to go for drives, or else, "Get in the car, we are going for a drive, gonna sing and have a great time, get in, now." As you can see, they loved it. I bought a used camper once, made the wife and kids come along, drove a few hundred yards, onto a dam, parked, and made pancakes for everyone, in our camper. I think, again, they thought I had "lost it."

One Saturday morning, I got up early, drove to get a haircut, in Tawas, Michigan, about 300 miles or so. On a few occasions I proclaimed an ultimatum, I am leaving in the morning, early, for Michigan. Anyone wanting to go along, be ready. I generally went alone, got there, turned around and came back. I loved the "idea" of heading to Michigan, never really knew why.

During WWII we had a C sticker, for physicians, so we had plenty of gasoline, but tires were scarce, as were cars. I think that '39 Packard got us through the war, a Packard Clipper. In those days, all cars had a windshield sticker. An A got you four gallons of gas a week, a green B was good for I think 8 gallons, and there was a C a T and an X. The T was for truckers and the X for congressmen. I think our C got us more than enough.

I miss those rides, they were good times .....................