Thomas Jefferson said in 1802: "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."-- Thomas Jefferson

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." .... jbd

"When once a job you have begun, do no stop till it is done. Whether the task be great or small, do it well, or not at all." .... Anon

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Television is one daylong commercial interrupted periodically by inept attempts to fill the airspace in between them.

If you can't start a fire, perhaps your wood is wet ....

When you elect clowns, expect a circus ..............




Monday, November 25, 2013

Yes, I had a Chris Craft on a pond ................

Really, I'm OK. Yes, it's a rather small pond, and, yes, it is a Chris Craft, and, yes, that is me, going round and round on the pond.

Doesn't everyone have a Chris Craft on their farm pond?

Some thought I was losing my mind, some just thought I was nuts.

A friend and his gal rode around the pond with me. He kept saying, "Dooley, this is crazy, this is great, fun, neat, Dooley, you are crazy, this is so much fun, but, you are crazy. Let's go round a few more times."

I had two other boats, an aluminum 12 footer and a fiberglass pram that had been made out at the Owens Corning Fiberglas Tech Center when they were experimenting with their new product, fiberglass reinforced plastics. It was a great fishing boat, very stable.

About where someone is taking this picture was a spot where we did some swimming, there was a fairly shallow area near a spillway, the kids loved to play in the water down there. I would go to the end of the pond, turn around, open her up, get close to the shore, much nearer than I am here, do a sharp left, and the kids loved the waves coming in, and it did kick up a pretty good wave.

At night, I would turn the running lights off, idle about where this photo was taken, and to the right, was the dam, which was our driveway, and went up to the road. I had it times pretty good, I would hear a car, see the lights, shove the throttle all the way forward, run the length of the dam, make a sharp left, go along the bank that you can see, and there was a car, going down a deserted farm road, at night, and looking down to the left, was a boat, running light glowing, the mast on the back, lighted, and that Chris Craft sound, the low rumble. I saw many an owner later on and some related their shock and awe at the experience.

I quit though, one almost lost control, and swerved and was able to stop, but the headlights were right in my eyes. Shortly after that, I pulled it out of the water and was going to refinish her. I don't know why, remember, impulsive. I ended up selling the motor and, well, I'd rather not say what happened. Damned ADD...................