Thomas Jefferson said in 1802: "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."-- Thomas Jefferson

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." .... jbd

"When once a job you have begun, do no stop till it is done. Whether the task be great or small, do it well, or not at all." .... Anon

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Television is one daylong commercial interrupted periodically by inept attempts to fill the airspace in between them.

If you can't start a fire, perhaps your wood is wet ....

When you elect clowns, expect a circus ..............




Friday, November 29, 2013

Full of turkey thoughts ...

Black Friday. Why can retailers sell their products for so little today? I guess I do not understand anything about retailing. I never understood sales. Montgomery Ward customers knew what to buy and when. If they needed something they waited for it to go on sale. Many are slaves to sales. Some slept out in the cold to be first in line for a ..... sale. I the XYZ company has to sell something for a dollar, today, how can they sell it for 50 cents tomorrow. Not for me to know.

Had a turkey drumstick and two wings for breakfast, along with half of a pecan pie, with milk, of course. Probably the same for dinner.

So much time and thought and preparation goes in to a holiday, and it is all over so soon. One is done so now we concentrate on the next one. I admit that I have a "holiday hangover." The "blahs." Just sitting and staring. I am noticing a lot of double characcters, spelcheck unerlinses much. I just checked, and my "Ambition Level Indicator" is not working.

OK, glad you asked. The one that stands out the most was in Reno, the late 50's. Dinner was progressing at home while I was at work. Someone stopped me at the bar as I was leaving to have a Thanksgiving drink. Jimmie Johnson was at the bar, asked him about "where" and he had no place to go. Invited him to dinner, called the wife, "set another plate." Turned out that many of my co-workers had no place to go, invited them, and more and more. I don't remember how many we ended up with, it was a house full, two stopped and brought turkeys, already cooked, from restaurants, others brought what they could find. We had much more than we needed, or could ever eat.  It was a memorable day, bringing together so many that would otherwise have been alone.

We ate, talked, ate some more, talked a lot, all brought up memories of past holidays. I got to know people, people that I worked with, but now, in a different way. We has shared a "holiday meal" together. I learned things about people that I never would have found out. Jimmie related much of his colorful past in the "joints" around the country, people he had met, familiar notorious names, Jimmie knew them.

We knew each other, co-workers, but that evening we were all "family." We were all closer after that evening, and it game me a memory I will never forget. If any are still with us, I know they thought these same thoughts today.