Thomas Jefferson said in 1802: "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."-- Thomas Jefferson

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." .... jbd

"When once a job you have begun, do no stop till it is done. Whether the task be great or small, do it well, or not at all." .... Anon

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Television is one daylong commercial interrupted periodically by inept attempts to fill the airspace in between them.

If you can't start a fire, perhaps your wood is wet ....

When you elect clowns, expect a circus ..............




Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Hawthorn Hill

I lived about four or five blocks from this home in Oakwood, and walked or rode my bike by it regularly. In those days, to me, it was just another Oakwood House.

A friend of mine lived a block down from here, and delivered papers to this home, the Dayton Journal Herald.

On a few occasions, he would be on vacation or not able to deliver, and I would do that for him. Generally delivered them to the back door, and as I recall there maybe was a side door where I took the paper. I remember on one occasion I had to "collect" as my friend was going to be gone for a week or so. The housekeeper had the money already for me in an envelope. I thanked her and left.

Never once did I ask if I could look around the house, even a little, I just delivered the paper and left. I knew who lived there, but it was nothing special to me in those days, just another "drop" on the route. Oh house I wish I had asked to look around, maybe have the housekeeper take me on a tour, but I didn't.

Whose house was it, your ask, none other than Orville Wright and he was still living at the time, it was his house. I had seen him on a few occasions, downtown, or in a parade or at some special event. Then he was just Orville. I had even walked in front of their bicycle shop downtown. I remember my brother taking me someplace when I was very little and walking in front of, and under their sign.

On one occasions, there was a Bond Drive parade, in one car, FDR, Orville and Charles Kettering. Who is Kettering, familiar with the "starter" on your car, that was his idea. The parade was to pass in front of our school, Orville was not in the limo .... he had gotten out a few blocks back, and walked home.

Just think, I possibly could have visited with Orville Wright in his home, "Mr. Wright, what do you remember of that first flight?" ..... but I was too busy, then, to realize or know ......

 "Backward turn backward, oh time in thy flight"