Thomas Jefferson said in 1802: "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."-- Thomas Jefferson

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." .... jbd

"When once a job you have begun, do no stop till it is done. Whether the task be great or small, do it well, or not at all." .... Anon

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Television is one daylong commercial interrupted periodically by inept attempts to fill the airspace in between them.

If you can't start a fire, perhaps your wood is wet ....

When you elect clowns, expect a circus ..............




Thursday, September 11, 2014

Selective memory today ...

I prefer to NOT recollect today, the event that happened thirteen years ago. There are some things I prefer to keep in the deep recesses of my mind. I have had some rather traumatic events in my life, but I prefer to recollect the better times. This day is one of them I prefer to not remember.

I pray that someone, or some group chooses to not rekindle those memories today.

This is the month of my birthday.... 82 years ago. In those 82 years, I have seen much, much has happened, the world has changed, not just changed, completely changed. Just think of all that has happened since September 30, 1932. Very few things are the same. The rather quiet country of the 30's is not recognizable today.

Herbert Hoover was the President of the United States. I have lived through 14 Presidents, WWII, The Korean War, The Viet Nam War, and assorted "Police Actions." I have gone from the old "Tower Telephone" to the Cell Phone, from the Typewriter to the Computer. From a tube type radio to 3D, curved screen, high definition Television.

Many of those I have listened to, watched on TV, seen on a movie screen or read about in the newspapers, are gone. The house I grew up in is no longer there, in its place, a freeway. actually, the "downtown" I grew up in, a busy mecca of offices and retail stores, is, I understand, gone. Everything has moved to something we were not aware of at the time, but, the "suburbs." The Iceman who delivered ice to our house is now delivering ice to Walmart and other retailers, in bags, not blocks.

The trolley that ran down Brown Street is long gone as are the tracks it ran on. Actually, much of that street is gone due to that freeway that took our home. Earl's Grocery Store is gone, Millettes Deli is gone, had my first "Pepsi" there .... "Pepsi Cola hits the spot, twelve full ounces, that's a lot. Twice as much for your nickle too, Pepsi Cola is the drink for you." Earl used to let me work at his store once in a while. I was so proud, he would fix that long white apron on me. I still remember, pulling that long line of white string, wrapping, and then, with a deft ..... Pull ... break the string and proudly hand the package to the customer. It took me a while to learn that move.

I delivered newspapers, on occasions, to Orville Wright. Have seen Charles Kettering, the inventor of the automobile starter, lived near the founders of NCR, lived across the street from the D of DAP, saw FDR in a parade.

So, I choose to remember those things today ..................