Thomas Jefferson said in 1802: "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."-- Thomas Jefferson

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." .... jbd

"When once a job you have begun, do no stop till it is done. Whether the task be great or small, do it well, or not at all." .... Anon

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Television is one daylong commercial interrupted periodically by inept attempts to fill the airspace in between them.

If you can't start a fire, perhaps your wood is wet ....

When you elect clowns, expect a circus ..............




Thursday, August 29, 2013

What happened?

It dawned on me last night, watching the news and listening to some radio, when did we start using the term, "black" again? There was a time when it was a "nono" to use that term. The mood in the country was that we were all equal, no blacks, no whites, just people. I remember, to do my share, I did not use the term in anything.

But now, all of a sudden black is used again. There are black organizations, black groups, black caucus, black this and black that. When did we revert back to that term? You never hear the term "white" other than used for an annual sale at JCPenney. Now little children will be tugging on their mother's apron and saying, "Mommy, I wanna be black."

When did all that change, was it just gradual, and when and who decided they would rather be referred to as black again. I don't remember seeing a memo on it, but it happened.

I remember when it was stated, "Don;t use the term black." All other "words" are pretty much acceptable now, just watch TV, or as some do, go to a movie. It must be difficult now, for Mom and Dad and all the little kiddies gathered together, to watch of movie, on their BIG screen TV. "Daddy, what does that mean." And they were watching a "family oriented" show.

I did a blog a few days ago, "Bernice King: ‘African Americans are still not free’ 150 years after slavery’s end." I have been haunted by that "still not free." I think of all the changes that have occurred since then, and with the exception of all the "whites" moving to Canada, I don't know what more could have been done. And if all the "whites" had moved to Canada, who would all those black guys married?

One quote keeps coming back to me, in regards to the King statement. It was in "Pretty Woman" which we have all seen umpteen times. But, towards the end, she tells Edward,  "I want more, I want it all," or words to that effect, "I want it all." Perhaps that is what she meant, I think she has just about made it.