Thomas Jefferson said in 1802: "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."-- Thomas Jefferson

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." .... jbd

"When once a job you have begun, do no stop till it is done. Whether the task be great or small, do it well, or not at all." .... Anon

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Television is one daylong commercial interrupted periodically by inept attempts to fill the airspace in between them.

If you can't start a fire, perhaps your wood is wet ....

When you elect clowns, expect a circus ..............




Monday, December 16, 2013

Clyde Stewart

For some reason, old Clyde Stewart came to mind today, don't know why, that's a 60+ year old memory. I worked with Clyde one Summer, cutting sod, back breaking work, to say the least. My brother worked for his friend, Charlie, and I talked them in to letting me work, I didn't last long though, too much for me.

But, Clyde was a character. He was one of thousands who came North, from Kentucky, during the war, to get a lucrative "war job." He was one of the first "characters" I met in my young lifetime,, at that point. He had done, "jus a little" some moon shining in his time, was an avid hunter, and had a recipe to fix any "critter" you could think of. Each morning he would relate some "meal" his family had eaten the night before, and always end the evening with a "little drink" of "shine" that someone would bring to him on their trip to "Ahia."

Some were from the South, Kentuckians, but Clyde was a "Briarhopper." Or as he pronounced it , a "brarhopper." I remember one Friday, Clyde was going to take a weeks vacation, next week. "Are you going down to Kentucky to visit your relatives?"

"Naw they all is a living up here, mos are workin at Frigidaire, jus gonna spend the week visitin with them."

He never tired, paced himself, as strong as an Ox, he could cut more sod than any of the others. You cut sod by bending over, taking that cutter, putting it in the ground, your forearm  in your knee, and pushing with the knee to move the blade. I had blisters on the back of my arm. There was nothing mechanized or modern in those days, just back breaking work. My back is still suffering from some damage from those days.

Clyde was one sod cuttin' Brarhopper, if there ever was one...