Thomas Jefferson said in 1802: "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."-- Thomas Jefferson

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." .... jbd

"When once a job you have begun, do no stop till it is done. Whether the task be great or small, do it well, or not at all." .... Anon

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Television is one daylong commercial interrupted periodically by inept attempts to fill the airspace in between them.

If you can't start a fire, perhaps your wood is wet ....

When you elect clowns, expect a circus ..............




Tuesday, December 31, 2013

12/31/2013 - New Years Eve

First, my thanks to Him for giving me another year on this earth. At my age, each year is a gift, I often wonder "why" he is allowing me this time. It certainly is not because of my productivity or my contributions to humanity. Regardless, I thank Him for this time.

I forget the exact year, mid 40's, my family was in New York. We were staying in a hotel right downtown. I went down to the lobby to see the crowd outside, stepped outside and was swept into the crowd milling around. I had to do a few blocks up and a few blocks down before I got back to the front of the hotel.

In '44 we took a trip to Miami, Florida to meet my brother who was going to fly up from Cuba, where he was stationed. I remember the morning after, looking out of the window, the town was full of service personnel, many who had really celebrated the night before, bodies, in uniform, everywhere, some walking, some staggering, some sleeping. I was the official "gofer" every morning, going to a nearby Orange Juice Vendor who had great donuts.

I vaguely remember "trying" to stay up for that magic moment when we proclaimed "Happy New Year." I remember "Kippers," I think they were called, some sort of fish, and an appropriate food item to eat on the New Year.

The "Blackboard" is erased at midnight, the slate is clean, a whole new year to change your ways, so many things to accomplish, and a whole new year to do it in, a "second chance" on life.

I'm off to Walmart, boneless port ribs, sauerkraut, masked potatoes for dinner, gonna slow cook them, I think, Caraway seeds and apples in the sauerkraut. I must admit, It has been a few years since I was "awake" at midnight, seems like the year arrived without my assistance ... Happy New Year to ALL.


I'm