Thomas Jefferson said in 1802: "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."-- Thomas Jefferson

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." .... jbd

"When once a job you have begun, do no stop till it is done. Whether the task be great or small, do it well, or not at all." .... Anon

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Television is one daylong commercial interrupted periodically by inept attempts to fill the airspace in between them.

If you can't start a fire, perhaps your wood is wet ....

When you elect clowns, expect a circus ..............




Friday, June 28, 2013

Man leaves $10,000 tip after meal of burgers and fries


Bob Erb and his wife were traveling through Saskatchewan, Canada when they stopped into the Old West Express diner in Chamberlain. 

The couple met the friendly owner Clifford Luther, chatted, and eventually learned that the restaurateur had just hours earlier received the devastating news that his daughter was diagnosed with cancer. 

Erb said, “I had mentioned you know that I had lost my 26 year old son almost 5 years ago so I understand you know the anxiety and worry.” The out-of-towner was also on a somber voyage, traveling to bury his father’s ashes in the family cemetery. 

After doing so, 3 days later Erb and his wife traveled back to the Old West Express diner. Erb explained, “I said, ‘Hey, I didn’t get a chance to stop in a bank machine, can I write you a check,’ 

I said, ‘for lunch?’ ‘No, no, no,’ he says, ‘I’ll buy you lunch.’ 

I said, ‘No, no, no,’ I said, ‘I’ll leave you a check and a tip.’” Erb paid for the meal of burgers and fries. 

When Luther saw that the check was written out for $10,000 he became overwhelmed with emotion and was amazed by the kindness of this stranger who had become his friend. 

"He said, ‘Go out and see your daughter make sure you get out there to see her,’” Luther said, adding, “It just shows how good people can be you know, how, how he had good fortune and he was able to pass it on and I believe he’s a very generous man.” 

In November of 2012 Bob Erb won a lottery jackpot of $25 million and has given around $7 million to various charities and people he felt could use help. Luther will put the money to use soon and planning a trip to see his daughter in Vancouver.

I had a similar incident happen to me years ago when I had the Draft House here in Newark. A man who had become a "regular" came in one morning and told us he had received news that his Mother, who lived in  New Mexico, was gravely ill. The banks were not open yet, and he did not have enough ready cash to take a cab to the airport .... I gave him $100 ..... I never saw him again. I learned then, never loan money to transvestite, cross dressing, gay, wig maker from New Mexico named Francois, pronounced Franswa. (learn more about him in the next blog)