Thomas Jefferson said in 1802: "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."-- Thomas Jefferson

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." .... jbd

"When once a job you have begun, do no stop till it is done. Whether the task be great or small, do it well, or not at all." .... Anon

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Television is one daylong commercial interrupted periodically by inept attempts to fill the airspace in between them.

If you can't start a fire, perhaps your wood is wet ....

When you elect clowns, expect a circus ..............




Saturday, May 12, 2012

Jessie Maud Shannon Dooley

Jessie was my Mother, we lost her too soon. Life can be so busy, being a youth and being busy all the time, being in school and being busy all the time, then college, the Navy, married, and looking back, I really never had "quality time" with my Mom, I regret that.

My Mom bailed me out many a time. Dad would lay down the law, and Mom had her ways to circumvent those laws.  I guess I never really took his threats seriously, I knew Mom would intervene on my behalf.

She loved to have a good time with family and friends, she was a most gracious hostess, and she never met a stranger. Her happiest memories were when the whole family was at the dinner table, eating one of her home lovingly cooked meals.

I remember on one occasion, a friend of theirs from Columbus, Ohio drove over for a visit. With him, was Fred Taylor, the Ohio State basketball coach. Before they left, they had spent three hours talking, and Fred and Doctor Rose devoured most of a freshly baked apple pie she had made.

She was also a PK, a "preachers kid." Her Father was a minister in the old United Brethren Church and later became a Bishop. Mom and her sister Eva, and Brother Ora,  had many stories and memories of their early days.

Old Doctor Ed Werner, our neighbor, determined that Mom had high blood pressure. This was some sixty years ago. One recommendation, a shot of bourbon once a day. Mom had never tasted liquor. We had to disguise it in a large glass of juice to get her to take it. She only did it for a few days. I am not sure how we disposed of the bottle, she didn't want it thrown in the trash for anyone to see, I think we buried it out in the backyard.

She used a "cuss word" one time, that I know of. When Dad retired from practice, he went to work for Blue Shield, had an assistant, car and all. He used to travel around the state, attending local Medical Association Meetings,  "imploring" Doctors to NOT abuse health insurance. Mom used to ride with Dad on his trips. On one occasions, his assistant Nelson accompanied them and did the driving. During the drive, my Mom commented, "I've noticed there are not as many "bastards" on the road when Nelson drives." A rare outburst from my Mother.

She is buried next to my Father at the old Wilkins Corners Cemetery, a spot she has occupied since they married, many years ago, next to his side. I truly wish I had gotten to know her better. Happy Mother's Day, Mom.