Thomas Jefferson said in 1802: "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."-- Thomas Jefferson

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." .... jbd

"When once a job you have begun, do no stop till it is done. Whether the task be great or small, do it well, or not at all." .... Anon

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Television is one daylong commercial interrupted periodically by inept attempts to fill the airspace in between them.

If you can't start a fire, perhaps your wood is wet ....

When you elect clowns, expect a circus ..............




Sunday, November 18, 2012

An answer to some questions - about being 80

A number of people have asked about my health, at 80. First, I am old. Things happen because of that. At times, my hands are shaky. There are times I try to do to much and have to remind myself how old I am. There are things associated with old age that cannot be anticipated or changed, they happen.

I have tried to watch my diet. I am not entirely convinced that exercise is essential, some, yes. I like the common sense approach, "You don't make a car last longer by driving it." I have taken over many of the household chores. I do the dishes, keep the kitchen clean, vacuum and stay active that way. 

Some basic things I do. If I see something on the carpet or the floor, I slowly stoop over and pick it up and take it to the trash, even little pieces. I probably do that 100 times a day, good exercise. I exercise my neck when sitting, turn to the left and to the right. I exercise my hands when sitting down. I have a rubber ball and a spring apparatus. I DILIGENTLY try to always be aware of where I am, what I'm doing, and try to NOT put myself in a position where I could lose balance and fall. Something can happen in the blink of an eyelash, I try to control those situations.

We have tried to eat "healthy." Not just a sales pitch, in my case, it is working fairly well. I have always been around 200, now in the 180's and hope to go down another 10 to the 170 range. I am finding the less weight I carry around to more energy I have. We have been trying to follow this philosophy and it seems to be working. No guarantees, just check out THIS SITE and see what you think.

I think one of the greatest contributors has been cutting down on salt and sugar. My wife is on a low salt diet and we are both on low sugar. I keep cooked linguine in the fridge in water all the time. Also keep leftover meats, chicken, pork, etc, and generally have mushrooms and fresh veggies on hand.

In my skillet, some olive oil, saute whatever, mushrooms, meat, veggies, whatever, let them cook well. Then add the drained cooked linguine and when about heated, add plenty of Alfredo sauce, which I generally buy at the store. I have made it sometimes.

I let all that heat in my "green" skillet, tossing regularly. When done, pour in a bowl, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, a great meal. I generally fix individually rather than for the both of us, we both don't like the same things.

I also get about six months use out of my razor, when done, shake dry and put in a cup of oil, I use olive oil which I keep in a cup by the sink. I change razors every six months whether it needs it or not.

Check out this cookbook though, there are some really great, tasty and healthy recipes in it.