Thomas Jefferson said in 1802: "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."-- Thomas Jefferson

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." .... jbd

"When once a job you have begun, do no stop till it is done. Whether the task be great or small, do it well, or not at all." .... Anon

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Television is one daylong commercial interrupted periodically by inept attempts to fill the airspace in between them.

If you can't start a fire, perhaps your wood is wet ....

When you elect clowns, expect a circus ..............




Sunday, January 22, 2012

John Greenman, Burt Lake on Greenman's Point

I will never forget John Greenman. He was the only true pioneer I have ever met and known.

My family used to occasionally vacation at Burt Lake, in Northern Michigan. We started going there in the late 30's. My Dad had built a boat, the Jessidean, a beautiful inboard, powered by a Gray Seascout Engine, triple planked, white, mahogany deck, and it was christened and launched on Burt Lake.

In those days it was a two day trip, generally stopping around Houghton Lake and stayiing in a log cabin "motor inn." Then, on to Indian River, and the excitement was mounting. There we would get our fishing licenses and some new tackle, and the latest "hot" lure for the Walleyes. Then on to Topinabee, and a left would take us up to  the church, past the old graveyard, and on to the lake. A left at the crossroads and in a few miles at the crest of a hill, the first view of Burt Lake, heaven to me in those days.

We rented a cabin from Pauline Everhard (I would have a problem telling you what I did last week, but those memories are still vivid in my mind.) she had a few of them on the lake. Unpack and get moved in, and then a walk up to John Greenman's Store. Big old gruff, cigar smoking John.

We bought our ice from John in those days, ice box in the cabins. I remember pictures of John, out on the ice, a long saw, cutting blocks of ice and sledding them to his ice house, to last the Summer.

My guess is that John had lived in the North all his life, turn of the century. He had built his home, next to the store, out of stones from the lake. To this day I remember the fragrance inside that home. It was a sweet musky fragrance, with a hint of pine, and cigar smoke. I have forgotten Mrs. Greenman's name, it may come to me. She cooked on an old wood stove. Maybe her niece Elaine will see this and let me know.

Mort Wertheimer had a cabin on the lake. He was a well known gambler and ultimate Nevada resident. Many of Detroits underworld spent time on Mullett and Burt Lake. A number of them had places on Burt Lake, and there was an area on Mullett Lake where many had Summer places. Lincoln Fitzgerald who owned the Chesterfield Club in Detroit vacationed and visited the area often. The old Topinabee Hotel on Mullett Lake, which had a railroad stop at their door, entertained many "Detroit" vacationers.

John ruled his store. There were many Indians that frequented the store, and on Saturday night they would congregate at the store, drink beer and eat sardines, right from the can. My Mom wouldn't let me go there on Saturday night, too young, but I did sneak in and spend a little time there, and sometimes we would just sit, talk, and take in the locals. If someone got a little loud or boisterous, a nod or a wiggle of a finger from John, would bring silence to the room. If there is a history of early Michigan printed somewhere, I am sure that there is mention of John Greenman.

In the 40's, there was a new resident on Greenman's Point, John (I am not entirely sure of his first name, rarely heard it, he was Hoppy) Hopkins. As I recall, he was from Detroit, sold pumps, and during the war sold a LOT of pumps, bought a house on the lake, remodeled it (my brother stayed on after we left for home and helped him with the building) and moved to the lake. Hoppie had a Chris Craft, we were fishing with him on one occasions, trolling, and he let me take over the wheel, I fell in love with his boat, and have continued that love affair with antique wooden boats to this day. He went in to politics and eventually bought John's store. Called it Hoppy;s or Hoppies, not sure. His son ran it after he passed, and I am not sure of all of the more recent history.

John Greenman, his store, his wife, his home, and his "point," I will never forget. I have made a number of "jaunts" to Northern Michigan, my wife and kids used to shudder at the mention, they got tired of them, but it is still like heaven to me. My "Bucket List" contains one more trip North, and a visit to Hoppies, and John Greenman's point.