Thomas Jefferson said in 1802: "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."-- Thomas Jefferson

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." .... jbd

"When once a job you have begun, do no stop till it is done. Whether the task be great or small, do it well, or not at all." .... Anon

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Television is one daylong commercial interrupted periodically by inept attempts to fill the airspace in between them.

If you can't start a fire, perhaps your wood is wet ....

When you elect clowns, expect a circus ..............




Thursday, September 13, 2012

Got to wondering today.........................

Did anyone ever wonder why, at least on television, maybe in real life, many major decisions are made over a glass of bourbon? At the end of their shifts, policemen, politicians, firemen, businessmen, all head to bars for a drink. Policemen on TV work around drunks all day, see deadly car wrecks caused by drinking, then, after shift, they all meet for a drink or a beer at a local pub and many of the pubs are owned by retired policemen.

I've had a few offices of my own, a few businesses, but  I never kept bourbon in the bottom drawer of my desk, or had a built in bar in my office. When I was in sales I was never offered a drink in an office. I once owned a bar, and rarely drank at my own bar. Years ago, at Christmas, many salesmen brought us a "bottle" of one thing or another as a Christmas present. But that died out, even in-house parties where alcohol  was served were going by the wayside.

Why, who and how, was the decision made to glamorize "drinking?"

Cheers, and other shows, have used bars and taverns as their sets, developed shows around the drinking environment.

Just watching a JAG rerun. Big decision being made, SECNAV is meeting with an Admiral about a new head man for JAG. Nice office, plush surroundings, they are drinking 18 year old bourbon. And not just drinking it, thoroughly relishing and enjoying the experience.

I have an occasional drink these days, in my time possibly have spilled more than many have consumed, so I am not a member of the WCTU. I do have an old pin of theirs that belonged to my Grandmother.

I just wondered who started this all????