Thomas Jefferson said in 1802: "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."-- Thomas Jefferson

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." .... jbd

"When once a job you have begun, do no stop till it is done. Whether the task be great or small, do it well, or not at all." .... Anon

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Television is one daylong commercial interrupted periodically by inept attempts to fill the airspace in between them.

If you can't start a fire, perhaps your wood is wet ....

When you elect clowns, expect a circus ..............




Wednesday, April 30, 2014

The EPIPHANY ....

I had an epiphany a little while ago: a sudden, intuitive perception of or insight into the reality or essential meaning of something, usually initiated by some simple, homely, or commonplace occurrence or experience............. while eating a bowl of raisin bran cereal.
We had Easter dinner here and while shopping at Walmart we realized we always ran short of silverware, so we checked out what they had. They had a whole tray of stuff, very plain, knives, forks, spoons, big spoons, little forks a plethora of eating utensils, the whole thing for around $9, so we got it. 

Now, my epiphany. In that same drawer this morning was a silver plated spoon, and an old, antique, silver spoon, but on top, the "cheepie" we got at Walmart last week. The purpose of the spoon was to transport food, from the bowl it was in, to my mouth. Any of those three choices would have worked .... equally well.

So, why the expensive stuff, EGO satisfaction, thus a small Chevy and a BIG Caddy, EGO satisfaction. They both perform their appointed intended purpose. We do live in an ego motivated world, and what is the "trigger" that fires that gun, advertising and marketing. We purchase what we are told, and whether we can afford it or not, we want the best. 

For example, in '58, at the Primm in Reno, I was elevated from being a dealer, to being a boxman, wearing a suit, not just a suit, a Louis Roth expensive suit, with tailored white on white shirts, alligator shoes, silk ties, white gold and diamond cuff links on that white on white monogrammed french cuff shirt, and the watch, with 33 cut diamonds around the face. When I left the club, I drove home in a Chrysler Imperial, and I was still in my late 20's. not even 30 yet.

Some of that can be attributed to my "impulsive spendthrift with ADD" tenancies and a super inflated EGO on the kid from Ohio, working in the gambling joints in Nevada .... and being a boxman. 

I was very impressed with myself, "Oh, hi Harry," that was Harry James, the bandleader .... "Oh, hey Sam" that is Sam Butera who is with Louie Prima, they are up from Vegas working on new material since Keely left the group. 

What time is it, you ask, check this out .... I do a clever turn of the left wrist, exposing the half inch of linen of my expensive shirt, slowly pull back the cuffed sleeve of my expensive suit, exposing my Gensler Lee diamond watch and, and ..... the diamond cuffllinks and my diamond ring, I forgot that ..... I'll point to the diamond watch with my right hand, exposing my diamond and onyx "pinky" ring.

Does that not impress you, my time inquiring friend, it sure does me ............... EGO, you bet.