Thomas Jefferson said in 1802: "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."-- Thomas Jefferson

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." .... jbd

"When once a job you have begun, do no stop till it is done. Whether the task be great or small, do it well, or not at all." .... Anon

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Television is one daylong commercial interrupted periodically by inept attempts to fill the airspace in between them.

If you can't start a fire, perhaps your wood is wet ....

When you elect clowns, expect a circus ..............




Saturday, May 25, 2013

The joys of a Saturday Morning

Oh how I looked forward to Saturday morning in my youth. School all week, and then ......... Saturday Morning, it seemed to have more importance than Saturday afternoon or Sunday. I could sleep in late, but generally woke up early so I didn't miss any of the day.

There were some great Saturday morning radio shows. The first two that come to mind are “Let’s Pretend” and “Big Jon and Sparkie.” (There are a few of their shows on thede links)

It seemed like the weather was always nice on Saturday morning, or at least those are the ones I remember.

Later, in the 50's at The Citadel, we always had SMI, Saturday Morning Inspection. The rooms had to be spotless, everything in its place and those old wood floors were bleached, almost white. They became routine, but the work and preparation were always the same.

I guess, in the Navy, I think in San Diego, we had the weekends off when I had the "Discharge Desk." We discharged on Wednesday and Friday, some weekends I had the "Duty" but most were off. Trips to Vegas, Los Angeles or somewhere, almost every weekend. Aboard ship for two years, the days ran all together.

Up until a few years ago I would do something either on Saturday or Sunday morning, drive to Columbus or Zanesville, just a mini vacation. On a couple of occasions I drove to Michigan, once to Tawas, just to get a haircut. After one of my Kidney Stone operations, I got in the car, headed to Michigan, "ostomy bag" and all. Spent a few days just driving around. The "bag" leaked and I headed home. Hardly remember the trip at all.

It is 57 degrees in Ohio, sun is shining, a little chilly for the time of year, but nice. I can't do donuts anymore, our Meijers store closed yesterday.

Remember the reason for the holiday weekend. Visit a cemetery, look for the flags, and say "Thanks."Burgers and wieners are only a part of it