Thomas Jefferson said in 1802: "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."-- Thomas Jefferson

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." .... jbd

"When once a job you have begun, do no stop till it is done. Whether the task be great or small, do it well, or not at all." .... Anon

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Television is one daylong commercial interrupted periodically by inept attempts to fill the airspace in between them.

If you can't start a fire, perhaps your wood is wet ....

When you elect clowns, expect a circus ..............




Thursday, May 14, 2009

R. D. Dooley, M.D. - Chapter IV

CHAPTER IV

Prior to his marriage, he studied, organized and conducted singing schools over much of the county. He hauled a reed organ on a wagon to school houses where the singing schools were conducted. By the way, that organ is in the possession of my niece Mary Ruth Watson, and is still in good condition.


My Dad was a skilled organist as well as a vocalist. The singing school at that time was both a social and educational event. When I was growing up it seemed like every adult in the county had gone to singing school to my Dad. He was a natural entertainer, and had extensive repertoire of songs and readings appropriate for most occasions. I can still hear him singing "Ha Ha, you and me, little brown jug don't I love thee", or "sauerkraut am goozley, sauerkraut am fine; I surely ought to know, cause I eats him all the time."

In addition to singing school, Dad gave organ lessons and he was indeed a strict teacher. He sat beside his pupil with a pointer in his hand poised to rap the knuckles of an errant hand in the event of a mistake.


I started to take lessons, and ran afoul of the pointer early, which terminated my music lesson very suddenly. My Dad bribed me by offering to buy me a badly needed bicycle tire if I would sing with my two sisters at a Church function. I sang alto, but cannot remember that my vocal debut was acclaimed a success. Judgment may be reached when you consider the fact that I was never invited to sing again.


To be continued