Thomas Jefferson said in 1802: "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."-- Thomas Jefferson

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." .... jbd

"When once a job you have begun, do no stop till it is done. Whether the task be great or small, do it well, or not at all." .... Anon

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Television is one daylong commercial interrupted periodically by inept attempts to fill the airspace in between them.

If you can't start a fire, perhaps your wood is wet ....

When you elect clowns, expect a circus ..............




Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A little stroll down memory lane

Earlier today I emailed some relatives about my brother. The article I did on Shelby Linville brought back some memories, and in that TV interview he brought up some names of people I knew, and even mentioned my brothers name, by mistake, I think he meant Vince Dooley, but said Dean Dooley. I think he knew my brother, and may even have worked with him. Linville also mentioned a few names of players my brother had coached.

In my email to my niece I mentioned that her Dad had coached both Jerry Lucas and John Havllichek when he coached an Ohio High School All Star team.

Her reply:  I remember riding in a station wagon with Lucas and Havlichek - Dad was driving us somewhere....probably to an Ohio All Star game...maybe in Columbus? I was 12 or so.... both men were so tall they had to open their windows so their heads could stick out... only way they could fit in the car.

What a great memory that is for her, not many can say they rode in a vehicle with both of those greats. I envy her/

One story I remember my brother telling about Lucas, he was in Middletown in the office of Paul Walker, the Middletown coach. He had sent for Lucas to come to his office. When he arrived, Coach Walker informed him that he had four tickets for a basketball game that night, and a chance to see the Harlem Globetrotters. Here was a chance for this highly touted young basketball player to see a well known team play. His reply, "No thanks, coach, I've got some studying to do tonight."