Thomas Jefferson said in 1802: "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."-- Thomas Jefferson

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." .... jbd

"When once a job you have begun, do no stop till it is done. Whether the task be great or small, do it well, or not at all." .... Anon

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Television is one daylong commercial interrupted periodically by inept attempts to fill the airspace in between them.

If you can't start a fire, perhaps your wood is wet ....

When you elect clowns, expect a circus ..............




Monday, December 15, 2014

One I remember ................

Between Kidney Stones, Afib and old age, we are "skirting" Christmas this year, so have been reflecting on some memories of past years.

One that comes to mind involved me being Santa for our local Merchants Association. I was old and whited haired, so I got the job, and, the suit fit. Dave Longaberger of basket fame had purchased a local theater, and let us use the entrance to set up our Santaland.

I think I was a good Santa, I really never grew up, so I easily related to the kids. I did a deep Santa voice, and was perceptive enough to use some obvious clues. I would see someone in the family wearing a sweatshirt, let's say from Licking Valley ..... "Hi Bobby" .... the parents would give the child's name to my elf, who would write the name on a small blackboard, so I knew each ones name. "Hi Bobby ... let's see, ...... do you still go to Valley?" ... Eyes would lite up a bit ..... "How'd he know that?"

I got lucky a few times too. "Didn't I bring you a sled last year, you had your tree over in the corner there, and as I recall, I put it under the tree there, and some other presents."

One Mother that we knew, her kids were getting a little older ..... at that age, where .... well, she fed me some information, thought her daughter was a little young to be getting serious about some young boy. When they entered the theater, I casually waved at them, "Hi Sarah, Hi Billy" .... and went on talking with the child on my lap. I saw their expressions, a little awed that I waved and knew their names. When Sarah got on my lap .... well, she was awed ..... Santa knew things that, well, only Santa would know. Her Mom told me later, as they were walking out Sarah looked up at her and said, "Now that was the real Santa Claus."

One evening, Santa was getting ready to head home, it was cold and snowy out, and young girl in a tee shirt and jeans came in, carrying a maybe 2 or 3 year old, who was also sparsely dressed. They obviously had little. Nice young Mother, cute little girl. Well, before they left, I had  elves helping me that night. One elf had, in her car, a Christmas gift for her Granddaughter, a nice Winter coat, which suddenly appeared. Others brought items in, the Mother also received a coat, one that an elf had been wearing. A nearby drug store was open, diapers appeared and other clothes appeared, some toys.

Mom and baby left loaded down, tears flowing from everyone. I am sure that all involved remember that incident each year, Santa and his Elves, did good stuff that night ....................