Thomas Jefferson said in 1802: "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."-- Thomas Jefferson

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." .... jbd

"When once a job you have begun, do no stop till it is done. Whether the task be great or small, do it well, or not at all." .... Anon

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Television is one daylong commercial interrupted periodically by inept attempts to fill the airspace in between them.

If you can't start a fire, perhaps your wood is wet ....

When you elect clowns, expect a circus ..............




Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Veteran's Day

Another year, not sure how many "service men" have lost their lives during that year, but I am sure it is  too many. I guess that "terrorism" is the reason for the loss of life. Terrorism really isn't "war," terrorism makes me think of an Alfred Hitchcock saying, “There is no terror in a bang, only in the anticipation of it.' Terrorists thrive on our concern over the anticipation of what they are going to do next.

A Veteran is an individual, who, for one reason or another, has interrupted his or her life, to serve, to insure that those that he/she left behind can live their lives, without fear.

Just think what it takes to leave your way of life, to follow a way of life, that could result in your life changing drastically, the losing of a limb, or even losing your life. I was in the service during the Korean Conflict, it never entered my mind, during that time, that my life in any way, could be altered, by the time my commitment ended. But just think of all of those who have given their lives, lost limbs, lost their ability to live a normal life.

It is impossible to comprehend combat, being shot at by bullets, bombs, shells, by people whose purpose is to kill you. That is war, noise, smells, hunger, rain, snow, and shooting, so much shooting.

Not all Veterans experience that but they all experience being away from home, families and loved ones and loneliness. That is part of Serving your Country.

My Grandfather, Caleb, served in the Civil War. My Dad, served in World War I, and he told of Caleb taking him to the train station in Marion, Indiana as he was leaving on the train to take him to the ship that would take him to Europe. Caleb knew the horrors of war, and all that could be facing his Son. Dad said as he looked back, there was his elderly Father, leaning on his cane, weighted down with the knowledge of what was facing his son.

My Dad took me to the train in Dayton, Ohio when I left to head to Boot Camp, and the possibility of facing the unknown in the Korean Conflict.

I remember when my Brother, Dean Shannon Dooley, was taken down to the train station in Dayton, Ohio, on his way to Chicago, and into the Navy in a V-12 Program at Great Lakes in Illinois, and then later on to Submarine School in New London, Connecticut.

I will never forget that early morning, when a Naval vehicle came down Montgomery Road and stopped at our house, and our Son Brad walked out of the house, across our yard, and into that vehicle. I have tears in my eyes as I write this, that was an emotional event in my life. My little Son, leaving home, and going into the Navy, so abruptly, one moment he is home, the next, he is gone. Agony for a few days in the Dooley household. We did get to the airport in Columbus, and get to see him off, didn't help much.

My other Son Dean served in the Navy during the Viet Nam War, but he was living with his Mother then, and I escaped the emotions involved in his leaving.

Veterans Day, 2010. Something to think about. I have heard that the ACLU wants all of the CROSSES removed from the graves of Veterans.