Thomas Jefferson said in 1802: "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."-- Thomas Jefferson

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." .... jbd

"When once a job you have begun, do no stop till it is done. Whether the task be great or small, do it well, or not at all." .... Anon

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Television is one daylong commercial interrupted periodically by inept attempts to fill the airspace in between them.

If you can't start a fire, perhaps your wood is wet ....

When you elect clowns, expect a circus ..............




Sunday, October 3, 2010

I remember ...............

Fall is in the air, September 3, 2010.

I looked outside a while ago, went out onto the porch, a chill in the air. I noticed a few new colors in the Maple tree next door. It is odd, but I think I change with the seasons. I think maybe the realization that Fall is here brings back a whole new flood of memories, takes you back to a different time and place, and you feel all of those emotions.

In the Fall, Mom brought out the Hudson Bay blankets that had been stored in her Cedar Chest with some moth balls since the last Spring. I remember those first Fall nights, climbing under the cool sheets, and having that faint aroma fill my  nostrils. That was many years ago, but that memory is still vivid today. Those are memories of 319 South Brown Street, in Dayton, Ohio. a beautiful old house that no longer stands. A victim of a freeway. That is the house that I spent my first eleven years in, so many good memories there. It seems like I spent a lifetime there, but when I count it out, 1932 to 1943, a short time in my life. And then from 1943 to 1950, we lived in Oakwood. It seems like that was my whole life, but it was only the first 18 years. So many memories of those 18 years, but it seems like those were the biggest part of my life. Never thought of it that way.

I think that is one of the reasons I like living in Ohio. Changing seasons. As of this morning, I am in a Fall mode. I can smell the freshly cut grass, cut by Mr. Watts, on his riding mower, at Oakwood High School in Dayton, Ohio. Cut grass in the Fall smells different than cut grass in the Summer.

Tonight, when I go to bed, and pull those covers over me, I will smell a faint aroma of moth balls, and feel a Mother's loving hands pulling up those blankets and "tucking" me in, and that was over seventy years ago. Aren't memories, great?