Thomas Jefferson said in 1802: "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."-- Thomas Jefferson

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." .... jbd

"When once a job you have begun, do no stop till it is done. Whether the task be great or small, do it well, or not at all." .... Anon

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Television is one daylong commercial interrupted periodically by inept attempts to fill the airspace in between them.

If you can't start a fire, perhaps your wood is wet ....

When you elect clowns, expect a circus ..............




Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Golden Moments

I started pondering, the other day, and I have missed out on a number of things in my life, wonder what it would have been like ............

I never knew a grandparent, all sides had passed by the time I was born. I am a grandparent and a great-grandparent, and I know what all I feel and have done and would like to do for my grand kids. I missed out on all of that being spoiled. Grandparents are great things, I never had any.

I never had a Sister. Well, Priscilla was born a few years before me, but died at birth. Neither she nor a memory of her was a part of my youth. It would have been great having a sister, I think. She would have been my big sister, three years older. She could have been a "pain" or she could have been a pal. I wonder how life would have been with a big Sister.

I had a Brother, but he was twelve years older, so I really never got to know him well. He was always a life ahead of me. When I started school, he was in high school, then he was in college, and then in the Navy, and then he got married. So, we never had any time together. I looked up to him, but we really never got to be "friends," have very few memories of when "we" had time together, just sit and talking. I guess, in reality, we were really never brothers, at least not like I see on TV and in the movies. We never "shared" any moments. We never "giggled" together or something that happened.

My Mom and her Sister used to "giggle," they had moments they shared together and memories of moments their shared. They had moments that they remembered that started out with a laugh, ha ha, then became a giggle, and then became almost hysterical laughing. Their Father, my Grandfather who I never knew, was a minister, they were PK's, Preachers Kids. They shared some of those moments where laughter had to be subdued, till it hurt.

One time we had to hurriedly drive to Indiana to a funeral, some close friend of the family had passed. It was a last minute, hurried trip. Dad drove faster than usual, went to the funeral home where my Aunt had saved seats for us. My Mom slid in next to Aunt Eva, then Dad, and me on the end. Dad slowly reached over to shake hands with Aunt Eva, instead, he got Mom's hand. After all that long hurried drive, there were my Mom and Dad, shaking hands. They ached to laugh, they tried their best, they both had to get up and leave the chapel. They had a lot of moments like. Golden moments.