Thomas Jefferson said in 1802: "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."-- Thomas Jefferson

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." .... jbd

"When once a job you have begun, do no stop till it is done. Whether the task be great or small, do it well, or not at all." .... Anon

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Television is one daylong commercial interrupted periodically by inept attempts to fill the airspace in between them.

If you can't start a fire, perhaps your wood is wet ....

When you elect clowns, expect a circus ..............




Thursday, May 27, 2010

Memorial Day

Memorial Day 2010

The year that the president did not participate, which is fine with me. I think he has done nothing to warrant being a commander in chief, and in my opinion, it is an insult to all Veterans when he salutes them. I remember from my old Navy days, the expression was, "You are saluting the uniform and the rank, not the man." That served well when there was some officer that you didn't like.

They at least had done something to attain their rank. If I was in the service, I would have a difficult time if the occasion arouse that I had to salute the president. My resentment reflects itself in never capitalizing his name, or that of the office he holds.

My Father often told of his experience when he went off to war in WWI. He vividly remembered the look on his Father's face. His Father had served in the Civil War, and was aware of what was ahead for his son.

My Dad wrote me a letter and handed it to me as I boarded a train on my way into the Navy in 1952.

I remember that morning when our son Brad left for the Navy. We had to get up early, and the recruiter picked him up, and it happened so fast. He was out the door and into the waiting car, they drove off, and we just stood there and my wife and I both cried. All of a sudden, Brad was gone. Perhaps the most empty feeling I have ever experienced.

And that empty feeling has been experienced by millions of families, the day the son or daughter goes to war. Veterans gave up so much of their lives, to become Veterans, and many actually gave their lives.

Just think about what that actually means. A person leaves their family and home, perhaps leave a house that has been their home all of their lives, to that eventful day, the day they went into the service. In the service they are subjected to a vigorous training program, and then, perhaps an extensive training program to learn a particular skill or trade.

They have raised their arm, taken their oath, and now have their "service obligation." They take their orders, and generally, do what they are told.

In some cases they are put in harms way, and many have given their lives. None of them wanted to do that, but they "gave their life for their country." And that is what Memorial Day is for. To give some thought, to say a prayer for and in some way, pay our respects, for all Veterans, but especially those who gave their life. Just think about that phrase .... "gave their life for their country," the ultimate sacrifice.

So, at least, spend a minute or two, on Memorial Day, and think about that phrase, what it means, and be thankful for those that sacrificed.....