Thomas Jefferson said in 1802: "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."-- Thomas Jefferson

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." .... jbd

"When once a job you have begun, do no stop till it is done. Whether the task be great or small, do it well, or not at all." .... Anon

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Television is one daylong commercial interrupted periodically by inept attempts to fill the airspace in between them.

If you can't start a fire, perhaps your wood is wet ....

When you elect clowns, expect a circus ..............




Monday, May 17, 2010

Licking Memorial Hospital

Well, I finally did it, I had some blood work done this morning. I had no choice. One of my prescriptions ran out, and the Doctor won't refill until the results of the blood work come back. So, they gotcha.

Went to the local hospital to get the blood work done. They have a new revolving door, one that is almost a "Stress Test." Really takes a lot to get it to move. This is one of those hospitals that is ALWAYS doing something, remodeling, new building, something.

As you go in, there are signs and arrows everywhere, and the lab is not where it was the last time I had to do this, so I had to ask. Got directions, got lost and had to ask again. Found the waiting room.

Sat down, realized that I was doing something wrong, so they pointed to the door, and there was a touch screen where you had to put your name. Put in the name and sat down.

Looked across the room and saw an old friend, John Eshelman, so I went over and sat with him, not for long,, they called his name and he left.

My name was called, went to the three stall sign in desks. Driver license and Medicare card. Computer screens and all sorts of printers around her. One copies the drivers license and Medicare card, and one gigantic computer spits out all of the paper work. I have her one sheet of paper, she did her keyboarding and printed out four.  And, the printer printed out on both sides, not all printers do that, automatically. Two initials and a signature and I went back to sit down.

Just got seated and my name was called. I was ushered to a small room down a hallway. She pointed to a rather elaborate chair, arms that closed in front of my, like a small TV tray of yesterday. On the wall, another computer screen that she entered the same information in that the gal out front had done.

I never have understood why their computers do not communicate with each other. You used to just take a folder from room to room, and gave them the information one time. Now, each computer terminal wants and needs the same information.

Technology when I entered, instead of a ticket, a touch screen to enter your name. Elaborate computer to take down the information. One comment, I have been coming to this hospital for forty years, seen all sorts of changes, from pens to typewriters to computers. But I still have to go over all the information, each time, to a computer. I really do not understand that.

When I just had a folder, they just passed the folder around from person to person, office to office, they would ad sheets of paper, but the information stayed the same. Then computers .... every time. Progress is wonderful.

Anyway, she swabs my arm, draws the needle near, and I automatically looked away, to my right, and there on the wall by the door, surrounded by all this technology, was a WOODEN BRACKET, with a hole in it, and in that hole, a two-cell flashlight, probably cost three bucks, their EMERGENCY LIGHTING SYSTEM. I let out a laugh just as she put the needle in my arm.

But one of the really new, neat things, right outside the blood work lab, as you head to the front door, a new room, a coffee shop, selling Starbucks. Well, you have to "fast" before the blood work, so I am dying for a cup of coffee, and lo and behold, a few feet from the lab, coffee, bagels, danish, muffins. How smart is that? The same people who have a flashlight as an emergency lighting system are smart enough to put a Starbucks outside the door of the lab. $1.60 for a small coffee, but it was worth it.