Thomas Jefferson said in 1802: "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."-- Thomas Jefferson

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." .... jbd

"When once a job you have begun, do no stop till it is done. Whether the task be great or small, do it well, or not at all." .... Anon

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Television is one daylong commercial interrupted periodically by inept attempts to fill the airspace in between them.

If you can't start a fire, perhaps your wood is wet ....

When you elect clowns, expect a circus ..............




Saturday, May 15, 2010

Bing Davis

I came across these items the other day, and I think it is a great tribute to my brother, Dean Shannon Dooley. I think it is unique in a way, Bing is well known and a celebrity in many ways. In most of his biographical material he attributes his path in life, to my brother. Not many do that, I think it is neat.

Dr. Willis Bing Davis


Chairman: Board of Directors National Conference of Artists

Cultural leader, Willis "Bing" Davis was born on June 30, 1937 in Greer, South Carolina to Verona Hargrove Davis Buffington and Livonia "Lee" Davis, a coal truck driver and gospel singer. Growing up on Dayton, Ohio's East Side, Davis attended Washington Elementary School.

Bing agreed that the smallness of the community also meant a lot of camaraderie and mentoring from older members in the community. Bing talked about his high school teacher and coach, Dean Dooley: “More than a teacher, he was there, he talked with my family, talked to my mother, aunts and uncles, to point me in the right direction.”


Bing remembered that when Coach Dooley found out he was planning to drop out of Wilbur Wright High School, he took him and three other boys on an impromptu road trip to visit DePauw University.

The trip changed his life, not only because he ended up attending DePauw and went on to become a prominent artist, but because his coach’s interest in him showed him the importance of having supportive, encouraging mentors reaching out to you.

“If someone had not nurtured me, I would not have been able to do it. The potential might have been there, but I would not have done it.” The work he does as an educator is his way of giving back for all he received.