Thomas Jefferson said in 1802: "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."-- Thomas Jefferson

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." .... jbd

"When once a job you have begun, do no stop till it is done. Whether the task be great or small, do it well, or not at all." .... Anon

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Television is one daylong commercial interrupted periodically by inept attempts to fill the airspace in between them.

If you can't start a fire, perhaps your wood is wet ....

When you elect clowns, expect a circus ..............




Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Older I get

Like most, we get a lot of catalogs in the mail. They were good "bathroom" reading material. I used to skim over them, occasionally something would catch my eye, but generally skim through the pages.

The older I get, the more I pay attention, and think, "I might need that."

For example.

EXTRA LONG, Easy Grip scissors. I have not gotten any taller, it is just more difficult to reach the ground. These scissors would make toenail trimming much easier.

A Fully Adjustable chair riser. A tubular contraption that fit under your chair, two handles, to help get out of a chair. I sometimes have to bounce two or three times to get out of my chair in the living room.

A "Walker Tray" so you can carry all your things, on your walker. There is also a Walker Basket and Walker Glides and Wheels. I used a walker for a while after my operation, so I can see the usefulness of these items.

There are all sorts of knee and elbow braces, support hose, pills, and other "elder aides."

A Toilet Safety Rail, easy to install, it attaches to your toilet seat and gives you a steady grip, you can "rise with ease." You can also get Toilet Seat Risers, "Ideal for anyone who has difficulty bending or rising from a low position," they add 2 inches of height. They too are easy to install. I can relate to these items. Going to the bathroom is not easy. I have no urinary problems or anything like that, it is just difficult to get up. Sore knees, etc.

A whole section devoted to Waterproof Pants, Waterproof Bed Pad, Incontinence Briefs, and other items to alleviate some of "those" problems, none of which I have yet, but could possibly have not too far down the road.

A great deal of Dr. Leonard's Catalog seems to be devoted to the elderly and making the "twilight years" more comfortable. There is a lot of clothing, Dr. Scholl's shoes, bedding, denture care and many of the products are "As Seen On TV." The ones we have seen so many times on infomercials.

But there are a number of pages devoted to "G-Spot Stimulator's," and a couple dozen "Personal" Massagers and Vibrators. I guess that makes sense. If you are ready for a Walker and Waterproof Pants, and handles to get you off the "pot," so to speak, you probably need some assistance in other ways. I can relate to that, I guess.

I wonder, though, about Men's and Women's Diabetic Active Socks with the Extra Wide stretch at the top. They are specially designed for diabetics. How do they raise "sugar free" cotton?

The one I really want, though, is that Talking Watch. Just press the button and a "friendly" voice tells you the time.

Now that I can relate to. "Honey, what time is it?"

"Are you blind, can't you see the clock, what do you need to know what time it is, where is your watch?"