Thomas Jefferson said in 1802: "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."-- Thomas Jefferson

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." .... jbd

"When once a job you have begun, do no stop till it is done. Whether the task be great or small, do it well, or not at all." .... Anon

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Television is one daylong commercial interrupted periodically by inept attempts to fill the airspace in between them.

If you can't start a fire, perhaps your wood is wet ....

When you elect clowns, expect a circus ..............




Wednesday, December 23, 2009

What am I thankful for this Christmas, you ask?

At 77, I am still reasonably healthy, don't do a lot of productive work, and I feel like I am probably in my 30's or 40's. My scars, appendectomy, vagotomy, kidney stones, cyst on the colon, many scars from laparoscopic surgery, and, OH yes, the triple by-pass, probably indicate that I am closer to 77.

My lovely wife is still with me, won't mention her age, looks good, and still works a few weeks around Christmas at Harry and David. She is a Cancer survivor and Mother of two. I am thankful we are still together and both have good health. Thanks, in part, to a number of pharmaceutical companies. Not sure how many pills we both take, but quite a few.

Few, to no, ripples on my pond of life.

Amanda, my granddaughter is going to have a baby girl, any day now. I will be a great-grandfather. That is probably redundant, whether you agree or not, Jim.

Melissa and Robin are well, as are all their dogs and cats, birds and that other critter. Brandon is well and doing good in school. He is as tall, or taller, than his Dad.

Brad, my son, who is with Whole Foods, will marry Bernie this Spring. We hope to be there, at The Would, in Highland, New York, one of the owners there is Debra Dooley, another Daughter. We met Bernie this Summer, and she is a perfect fit for the family. A "hello" was all that was needed, she became a Dooley, instantly. Debra and Lisa, along with Claire and others, keep The Would running. If you stop in for lunch or dinner, comment on the new carpet. Be sure to ask about

Dean, my eldest son, along with his wife, Robin, or "me" as she uses as her Email address, take care of Zack and Ashley, their two kids, and Rollercoaster Studios, in East Hanover, New Jersey. I miss going back there and getting in their way while they are trying to work. My year-end highlight reel always included a trip there, playing "floor director" at the New Jersey segment of the UNCF show that Dean was involved with. I miss seeing Pat Battle and Asa Aarons, and Jack and Tommy and others. Many fond memories of New York and New Jersey.

I am thankful this year to have been re-connected with an old very good friend from California, Ernie Moody. He was a big part of a portion of my life in the 50's. We did a couple of years together in the Navy. He called one morning, out of the blue, asked if I remembered him, which I not only did, but a floodgate of memories was opened on a part of my life almost forgotten. Another piece of my "life puzzle" fitted in to place. It has been great conversing with him.

All in all, not a bad year. I find myself still "recovering" from my surgery of a few years ago. They don't really know what all a patient will "suffer" during that long period of time where the body is, "out of touch" with the world, I guess is as good a term as any. Physically repaired, but no one knows how much "head" damage was done. Some emotions lost, some others sneak in. The lost ones seem to come back, a little at a time.

Christmas does not generate all the emotions that it did when I was a child, or when I had children to inspire with that Christmas feeling. "Backward turn backward, oh time in thy flight, make me a boy again, just for tonight," always pops in to my head at sometime during this season. That excitement and anticipation can never be restored. I must admit that I am at that age where the "day after" is welcomed, more so than the "day" itself. There are no "old memories" of the day after Christmas.

I think some of those "not so privileged" countries have it right. Families lived together or nearby, lived in the same house all those years, forty family members in for dinner, sitting on front porches, sitting together in church, grandfathers, fathers and sons, living in close proximity, sharing their lives. What a shame the world has gotten so global.

We miss out on so many opportunities to "create" so many fine, fond memories.

"Backward turn backward, oh time in thy flight. Make me a boy again, just for tonight."