Thomas Jefferson said in 1802: "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."-- Thomas Jefferson

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." .... jbd

"When once a job you have begun, do no stop till it is done. Whether the task be great or small, do it well, or not at all." .... Anon

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Television is one daylong commercial interrupted periodically by inept attempts to fill the airspace in between them.

If you can't start a fire, perhaps your wood is wet ....

When you elect clowns, expect a circus ..............




Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Hind Sight

Hind sight is a wonderful thing. AT THE TIME, I thought this sign was perhaps the cleverest thing I had ever come up with ..... let me go back a little.
  There was a small restaurant available, not to far from where we lived, so, I rented it. First thing I did was to find a large grill for the kitchen, had a very hard time getting that installed, and we were up and running.
  Dennis worked the grill, had a couple of waitresses, Billie Clifton and another one whose name escapes me right now.
  We did a good breakfast, many local people, oil field workers, pumpers, laborers, and nice variety. Lunch was busy, had a nice business going in Marne, Ohio.
   Then, I felt we needed an outdoor sigh. I called a sign painter from Granville, Ohio, he came out, told him what I wanted, I remember he said, "Are you SURE that is want you want?" Without thinking, I told him that was what I wanted. He did the sign and we put it over the door.
  Marne was a small community, a lot of elderly folks, not much in Marne but a plumber, Dick Houston, Collins Gas Station, the Marne Methodist Church, and that was about it.
  My clever mind came up with this fantastic idea, "Eat under the golden arch."
  In retrospect, a foot is perhaps the worst symbol you could use for a restaurant. SO many jokes about it, and it has NOTHING to do with a restaurant.
  But NO ONE ever told me how stupid it was, probably very few, if any, understood it, and no one asked why we had a foot over the door. One lady, eating at the counter, oddly enough a French teacher in high school, understood, I think she called it, "The Arch de Oro," or something like that.
  If only someone had told me, but  they didn't.