Thomas Jefferson said in 1802: "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."-- Thomas Jefferson

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." .... jbd

"When once a job you have begun, do no stop till it is done. Whether the task be great or small, do it well, or not at all." .... Anon

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Television is one daylong commercial interrupted periodically by inept attempts to fill the airspace in between them.

If you can't start a fire, perhaps your wood is wet ....

When you elect clowns, expect a circus ..............




Saturday, July 16, 2011

Joe Goss

Don't know what made me think of that name, have not heard that name in a long time. Who was Joe Goss? Hard to explain. Joe Goss, back in the 50's and 60's was "the Man." Actually, the man you wanted to see. He was many people, it really was a title more than an individual or a name.

If you were looking for a job, the Joe Goss in question was the person who did the hiring. Or, "who's the Joe Goss who owns this store?" So really, Joe Goss was the person in question at the time time.

"He's the Joe Goss on this shift." the Shift Manager, so it was an oft used term in Nevada in those days. Heard it many times in my years in Nevada.

Oddly enough, when I came to Ohio from Reno, my first job was at the Southgate Men's Store in the Southgate Shopping Center in Newark, Ohio. I got the job, and on my first day, John Slanker was explaining the store operation to me. showing me around, where everything was, how to work the register, etc.

My first customer was an elderly lady, who was purchasing some clothes for her husband. I gathered she was a regular, John knew her as did other salesmen in the store. I complied with all her wishes, found what she wanted, and we went to the register.

Cash or charge? (you don't hear that much these days, this was in '62}

"Charge."

"And the account name."

"Joe Goss."

True story, I had heard and used that name for so many years, and it was never an actual person by that name, just a title,, and here, in Newark, Ohio, my first customer was Mrs. Joe Goss.