Thomas Jefferson said in 1802: "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."-- Thomas Jefferson

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." .... jbd

"When once a job you have begun, do no stop till it is done. Whether the task be great or small, do it well, or not at all." .... Anon

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Television is one daylong commercial interrupted periodically by inept attempts to fill the airspace in between them.

If you can't start a fire, perhaps your wood is wet ....

When you elect clowns, expect a circus ..............




Tuesday, October 6, 2009

How much was it?

I need some work done on my van, idler arms, naturally, after they replace the idler arms, the wheels need to be re-aligned, and of course, since the idler arms were bad, you need front tires, and to keep things on an even keel, replace the back ones too.

So, what is relatively simple, becomes humongous.

So, over the last few weeks, I have been getting prices, replace prices, alignment prices, tire prices and labor prices. I have made many calls.

Then I got to thinking, I've had my appendix out, kidney stones, ulcer operation, cyst on my colon removed, triple bi-pass, and some other visits to the hospital, and not once, never, have I asked the doctor, "How much is this going to cost?"

The doctor says you need it done, so you get it done, you don't worry about the cost, because the insurance company, or medicare, is going to pay for it anyway.

I had my triple bi-pass done at Riverside, maybe another hospital could have done it cheaper, I don't know, I never asked. Matter of fact, I have no idea what it cost me, now. Medicare or someone else is going to pay for it. If we own someone, they can't repossess my operation, so we don't worry about it.

MAYBE if we had been asking all these years, about the cost, and at least knowing what the cost was, medical care would not be so expensive.

The doctors started all of this, of that I am certain. But, we also have to put some blame on attorneys. Malpractice suits are good money, and a lot of them don't even go to court, they are settled outside of court, bad publicity.

I know of a finance company that had a branch manager abscond with a pile of money. They did nothing to convict him. Once any of their accounts found about it, everyone would say, "I made that payment." Or even worse, "I paid that off a month ago." They would ultimately lose money if they made the theft public, so they keep it quiet. I think banks, in some cases, have done the same thing.

But in most cases, if you did ask the price of an operation, you would still get it done anyhow. If you get the operation, you live, if not, you die. The cost doesn't mean anything. Maybe they can just charge whatever they want, and maybe they do.

Right off hand I can't think of any other circumstance, where a price is not asked for, before a purchase, or something happens.

"How much was it?"

You don't hear that often, just after an operation or a stay at the hospital.

You don't purchase a car, and then ask, "How much was it."