Thomas Jefferson said in 1802: "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."-- Thomas Jefferson

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout." .... jbd

"When once a job you have begun, do no stop till it is done. Whether the task be great or small, do it well, or not at all." .... Anon

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Television is one daylong commercial interrupted periodically by inept attempts to fill the airspace in between them.

If you can't start a fire, perhaps your wood is wet ....

When you elect clowns, expect a circus ..............




Wednesday, March 5, 2014

More to it than you might think ...........

The last post got me to thinking, what all is involved in the life of a person that you are facing and saying, "Thank you for your Service?" A short, few little words, offhandedly thrown out, probably not too sincerely, just a nice thing to do. make some old guys day, may him happy.

I am a veteran, never really gave a lot of thought to it, or what it actually meant. A few years ago, a friend and I attended an Ohio State football game, with Navy. It was a "patriotic" day. Emotions were high, the American flag was evident, everywhere. I wore my Son's cap, BMU2 Stingers, or some thing like that, it was Navy issue. For the first time, ever, people were thanking me, for my service. I was taken back a bit by it, I had been out of the Navy for probably 50 years, and all of a sudden, I became a veteran.

I am a member of a very exclusive group, a US Veteran. Just think how many "went in" and never returned home, all the wars, all of those who did not live to become "a veteran." Staggering amounts. And as times passes, there are fewer and fewer from each "conflict" until there are no more.

I must admit I don't think the thought ever crossed my mind that I might .... "give my life for my country." I wanted to do my four years and get out. A career, never thought of that, actually, in those days, my thoughts of my or any future were nonexistent. Never thought of a career in the Navy. After the Civil War, Calen, my Grandfather, "mustered" out, in Texas. After World War One, my Dad got his discharge. Same with my Brother in WWII, and then, me.

I gave up much when I joined the Navy. My freedom, I was told where to go and what to do, they fed me, clothed me, and I did as I was ordered. I "Yes Sired" and did as I was told. I could be punished if I did not do as told. I lived their regimented life for my four years.

Now my group, Korean War Veterans, is getting smaller, soon to be extinct ...